Coronavirus or Corona virus is a large family of viruses that causes a mild to moderate upper respiratory tract infection, such as flu disease. Many people are infected with this virus, at least once in its lifetime.
However, some types of corona viruses can also cause more serious illnesses, such as:
- Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV).
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Until now there are seven coronavirus (HCoVs) that have been identified, namely:
- SARS-COV (which causes acute respiratory syndrome).
- MERS-COV (Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome).
- 2019-nCoV is also known as Coronavirus Novel (causing an outbreak of pneumonia in the city of Wuhan, China in December 2019, and spreading to other countries until January 2020.
Coronavirus Infection Risk Factors
Anyone can be infected with Corona virus. However, infants and young children, as well as people with weak immunity are more susceptible to this virus attack. In addition, season conditions may also be influential. For example, in the United States, Corona virus infections are more common in autumn and winter.
In addition, a person who lives or visits a region or country that is prone to corona viruses, is also at risk of suffering from this disease. For example, a visit to China, especially the city of Wuhan, was once an outbreak of 2019-nCoV in December 2019 to January 2020.
Causes of Coronavirus infection
Coronavirus infection is caused by Corona virus itself. Mostly corona viruses spread like other viruses in general, such as:
- A splash of saliva (Bantuk and sneezing).
- Touching the hand or face of an infected person.
- Touching the eyes, nose, or mouth after holding the item exposed to the water splash of the corona virus.
- Stools or feces (rare)
Especially for the novel coronavirus or 2019-nCoV, the incubation period is not known for sure. However, the average symptom that arises after 2-14 days after the first virus enters the body. In addition, the method of transmission 2019-nCoV is also not known for sure. Initially, a Corona-type 2019-nCoV virus was allegedly sourced from animals. Corona 2019-nCoV virus is a virus circulating in some animals, including camels, cats, and bats.
In fact these viruses rarely evolve and infect humans and spread to other individuals. However, the case in China is now the real evidence that this virus can spread from animal to human. In fact, now the transmission can be from human to human.